2018 2Q Concert Anticipation

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
Sticking with the quarter thing, what's the second one hold?

April is busy! Six shows - Fozzy, Lewis Black, Here Come The Mummies, Robin Trower, Buddy Guy, and Dweezil Zappa. I might have to take May off!

Nothing yet. Might do Dweezil in May and Queensryche in June. Tempted to see Y&T in April. Uriah Heep, too.

Dixie Dregs in Atlanta on 4/28. They're also playing here on 3/3 (I won't be at that one). I guess they like us so much, they're playing for us twice!

Tempted to see Y&T in April.
I would recommend seeing Dave & the guys, they're a local Bay Area band that never got the recognition they should have. Not only does he kick azz on the guitar, but he still has good pipes and can hit most of the notes, unlike a lot of older acts with beat up throats from drinking & smoking over the years.

I was in a (marginally talented) funk rock band that opened up for them in Redwood City back in the early 90's, we sucked but they were always killer. Real pros.

I would recommend seeing Dave & the guys, they're a local Bay Area band that never got the recognition they should have. Not only does he kick azz on the guitar, but he still has good pipes and can hit most of the notes, unlike a lot of older acts with beat up throats from drinking & smoking over the years.

I was in a (marginally talented) funk rock band that opened up for them in Redwood City back in the early 90's, we sucked but they were always killer. Real pros.

I've been a long time fan. Saw them back '86 or '87, but not since then.

Toto in April, the ARW version of Yes in June. That's it for the rest of the whole year so far, nothing in the second half at all yet...

Little bit of catching up on the 2Q...

Fozzy was awesome. Their cover of SOS gets me every time, but the whole set rocked. Best part of the show was this little dude about six years old. Right up at the front of the stage copying what the guitarists were doing all night long. Air guitaring, but copying what the guitarists did, and every time they jumped, he did. Head banging like a champ. Fozzy's guitarist brought him up on stage, and the little dude was locked in on him the whole time, right up until he got on the drum riser, threw the horns, and climbed on the guitarist's back for a piggyback ride. Whoever was right in front of him for each band talked to him after their sets. Very cool.

Here Come The Mummies - dynamite band. Tight as all get out, and they were recording for a new live album. Tore the place up. I try to see them every time they're here. Awesome stuff.

Robin Trower was, well, Robin Trower. Legendary. No BS show - no fancy lights, no production value, very little talking. Just song song song. Awesome player.

Buddy Guy Tuesday night was great. A little more music, a little less shtick this time. Man, there's a reason this guy is a legend. Total control all night. Highlights for me were "Feels Like Rain", "Hoochie Coochie Man", "Damn Right I've Got The Blues" and "Someone Else Is Slippin' In". The opener - eh. Although I did see a guy playing electric washboard through a wah pedal. Seriously.

Lewis Black was quite funny, too.

Dweezil Zappa closes out the month this weekend. Then I have Steel Panther later that week, and Ghost on the 18th. Possibly Ana Popovic on the 17th - a lot depends on my buddy's health. He has to have a heart procedure done again a couple days after Steel Panther. Ana is about two weeks after that - and *I'm* the one my wife yells at when the concert is discussed, like I can tell this guy he can't go to the show!

A couple other possibilities in May - Trivium/Bullet For My Valentine. Halestorm (this is not too likely). June is a slower month because of vacation, Experience, and minor foot surgery. Still squeezing in ZZ Top/John Fogerty and maybe one or two others.

Q3.... Maybe Zebra. Have never seen them, but really dug them back in the mid 80s

Q3 thread coming soon. I already have stuff lined up for Q4.

Yeah, concert going these days suck, for me. My buddy, who was much like yours, has forgone concerts. I'm now facing going solo cuz all of my buddies are lame with respect to my likes. I need to start leaning on local forum members!

Back