2017 Summer Concert Anticipation

Just got on the guest list for Primus & Clutch next Tuesday!

Nice! I didn't realize Primus was back together and out on the road.

BTW, thanks again for the Waters review. Sunday night's show was awesome. Eddie Vedder did Comfortably Numb with him to close. I talked it up so much after I got home that the wife was mad she couldn't go. Not one to let her stew, I bought tickets for tonight's show so she could see it.

Just got on the guest list for Primus & Clutch next Tuesday!

Nice! I was thinking about going to this show Sunday, but my wife wanted a little vacation before her next surgery, so I have to give it a miss.

Nice! I was thinking about going to this show Sunday, but my wife wanted a little vacation before her next surgery, so I have to give it a miss.
Take care of her, how's she doing so far?

The knee is doing well, thanks. Probably six months or so from being full-strength and normal-feeling. Next up is hernia surgery - it's a result of the surgery when she had her appendix removed a few years ago when they found out it was cancerous. It's the only lasting thing from that - everything else about it went perfectly.

ETA - almost forgot this, Vaughn. Don't know how close West Allis is to you, but there's a funk band called Here Come The Mummies there Aug. 4 at the State Fair. Excellent band - unbelievably tight, especially considering they have something of a rotating lineup.

The knee is doing well, thanks. Probably six months or so from being full-strength and normal-feeling. Next up is hernia surgery - it's a result of the surgery when she had her appendix removed a few years ago when they found out it was cancerous. It's the only lasting thing from that - everything else about it went perfectly.

ETA - almost forgot this, Vaughn. Don't know how close West Allis is to you, but there's a funk band called Here Come The Mummies there Aug. 4 at the State Fair. Excellent band - unbelievably tight, especially considering they have something of a rotating lineup.
50 minute drive. I'll be working though. Had to finagle my way to get off work Tuesday.

Last Wednesday, I got to see Davy Knowles again. Same place as the January show, kinda surprised but very happy to see him back so soon. If anything, this show was even better - Davy was on fire all night, and there were several solos that just elevated that much higher. PRS-free again - in fact, this time he only played the Tele and his resonator. No Gibson, no Martin (they were present, just not used).

Spent a few minutes before the show talking to Andy, who was running the merch table. He noticed my PRS shirt, and we talked a bit about guitars and ExperiencePRS. Hopefully Davy will be there next year.

A big two-fer coming up at Red Rocks in Colorado - Govt Mule on the 19th and Bonamassa on the 23rd!! Anyone else gonna hit these?? The shows are equidistant from full eclipse on the 21st which we are also driving a couple hundred miles north of Ft Collins to see.

September-November is shaping up to be pretty busy. Just picked up tix for Kenny Wayne Shepherd (Sept.) and King Crimson (Nov.). And found out about a "pre-show party" in a small club featuring Alice Cooper's band the night before his show w/Deep Purple here. Not hitting the full Alice show (hate the venue), but we're going to the pre-show deal - supposed to be about three hours of covers.

September-November is shaping up to be pretty busy. Just picked up tix for Kenny Wayne Shepherd (Sept.) and King Crimson (Nov.). And found out about a "pre-show party" in a small club featuring Alice Cooper's band the night before his show w/Deep Purple here. Not hitting the full Alice show (hate the venue), but we're going to the pre-show deal - supposed to be about three hours of covers.

The Cooper thing sounds bad a$$!!!!!!! Color me jealous!

Santana on Saturday. I have to pack my picnic basket since it's at Ravinia. I'll report back if he has a cooler guitar than me.

The Cooper thing sounds bad a$$!!!!!!! Color me jealous!

My buddy texted me over the weekend while I was playing a game, and I was half-panicked that I wouldn't get done in time and it would be sold out. My understanding is no Alice, but the chance to see that band in a small room like that? Oh yeah!

My buddy texted me over the weekend while I was playing a game, and I was half-panicked that I wouldn't get done in time and it would be sold out. My understanding is no Alice, but the chance to see that band in a small room like that? Oh yeah!

No Alice....more time to stare at Nita!

Just got back from Santana.

He played the SC all night from what I could see. It was at this picnic-in-the-park kinda place so I mostly saw rich white people eating and drinking in lawn chairs.

He sounded good, but I gotta admit it was kind of a boring show for me. I wish I went last year when Neil and Greg were back in the band, because tonight was a mixture of his material and a bunch of random jams on familiar themes. Like, I heard some Stones, some Beatles, and some wack bossanova with some girl crooning, and then all of Carlo's 15 solo riffs over and over for 2 hours before we bolted and GTFO.

IDK... Maybe I just don't like concerts anymore. I know it's the last big act I go see. I'm only going to 1000 seat and under shows from now on, only possible exception is Sade. And 2-3 hours is way too long to hold my interest. It's like movies these days, give me 85-90 minutes of solid entertainment and then stop. Please. I don't want to do anything for 3 hours besides sleep.

Holy sh!t, I just turned into a cranky old man. :confused:

Last edited:
IDK... Maybe I just don't like concerts anymore. I know it's the last big act I go see. I'm only going to 1000 seat and under shows from now on, only possible exception is Sade. And 2-3 hours is way too long to hold my interest. It's like movies these days, give me 85-90 minutes of solid entertainment and then stop. Please. I don't want to do anything for 3 hours besides sleep.

Seriously, you've just given voice to the way I feel about live shows these days. And now I'm at that stage in my life where I have zero problems with just picking up and leaving when I've heard/seen enough.

He played the SC all night from what I could see. It was at this picnic-in-the-park kinda place so I mostly saw rich white people eating and drinking in lawn chairs.

He sounded good, but I gotta admit it was kind of a boring show for me. I wish I went last year when Neil and Greg were back in the band, because tonight was a mixture of his material and a bunch of random jams on familiar themes. Like, I heard some Stones, some Beatles, and some wack bossanova with some girl crooning, and then all of Carlo's 15 solo riffs over and over for 2 hours before we bolted and GTFO.

Seriously, you've just given voice to the way I feel about live shows these days. And now I'm at that stage in my life where I have zero problems with just picking up and leaving when I've heard/seen enough.

So I'm not the only one who starts checking his watch while at a show:rolleyes:?

I'm firmly in this camp with you guys. Small venue, 90 minutes, close to home...all good. Everything else, pass.

Oh yeah.......GIT OFFA MY LAWN!!!!!!

So I'm not the only one who starts checking his watch while at a show:rolleyes:?

I'm firmly in this camp with you guys. Small venue, 90 minutes, close to home...all good. Everything else, pass.

Oh yeah.......GIT OFFA MY LAWN!!!!!!

Very much a fan of the smaller venue. My pattern the last 10 years or so seems to be one, maybe two arena shows (in a big year), everything else smaller stuff.

I still love going to live shows - counting comedy stuff, I think I'm averaging 40+/year. My buddy gets to 60+ - he'll take his bike and go five or six hours away on a whim. At least he did before he started having some heart issues, which has put his solo travels on hold for now. But we'll think nothing of going 2.5 hours to Cleveland to catch a show, then drive home after. We saw Tremonti and Trivium there a couple years ago, and we got talking to a couple from Columbus, who had a similar drive to get there. They were about 20 years younger than us and staying a hotel. They asked where we were staying, and I must have got a really puzzled look on my face, because I said, "Staying?" like I didn't understand the word. I said we were driving home after, and THEY got the puzzled look, and the guy said, "Whoa, that's hard core." I said, "It's only 2.5 hours." Got us home around 1 AM - and I was up for a couple hours after that. (Disclaimer - I'm not saying any of this is smart...)

Friday night I met my buddy at a free outdoor show - the Outlaws and Steppin Stones. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to go - my wife had minor surgery Thursday, so I had to make sure my son didn't have plans to go out, so I didn't know if I was going until it was time to walk out the door. Too bad the weather wasn't better - show started at 7:30, rain at 7:35. Didn't stop until about 10 minutes before all was said and done. Been a while since I was that drenched.

We saw Steppin Stones open for the Marshall Tucker Band in June. I really like them. Basically a power trio with Hannah Jean Wicklund on guitar and vocals. The lady is 20 years old and plays with a taste that defies her years. Never goes overboard, never plays just to impress. This was a bit of a surprise - when we saw them in June, I talked to her afterwards and they weren't expecting to be back here until after January. When I saw this show pop up, I wanted to try to make it to see them.

I'm not a huge Outlaws fan, but they put on a great show. I saw them about 30 years ago at a stadium gig that included a demolition derby and monster truck stunts. They opened fast with a 1-2 punch of "There Goes Another Love Song" and "Hurry Sundown" (two of my favorites of theirs) and kept it rolling until they finished it off with "Green Grass And Hight Tides Forever" and "Ghost Riders In The Sky".

Back