2017 Summer Concert Anticipation

Thanks for starting this up again! I don't know if this still counts as 'Summer', but I'll be going to see Rise Against in September. Second time I've seen them. Great fun!!

Kevin

Olivia Newton-John was postponed until November (? I think) because of breast cancer.

So, next up for me looks like maybe a small run of comedy shows - Jim Florentine, Jim Norton as maybes, Doug Stanhope for sure. Next concert is Marshall Tucker.

Also got tix for ZZ Top in November, and they just announced Ana Popovic for September.

As long as they're not sold out, I'll be seeing my favourite recent discovery band (discovered them almost exactly a year and a month ago) tonight, Bent Knee.

I miss ticket stubs. I've got a pile that I occasionally go thru and say, "oh yeah, I remember that show!" I don't save the copy paper printed out stuff. I've used mobile version a couple times. I suppose I could take a screenshot.

Anyway, TOOL tonight! St. Paul, here we come! Excited to take "the boy" to his first Tool show, he's pumped.

Was worried about the mobile route since my drummer's got a cracked screen(huh, looks like one of his cymbals). So going will call. Kinda hoping for a legit ticket but not getting hopes up.

I miss ticket stubs. I've got a pile that I occasionally go thru and say, "oh yeah, I remember that show!" I don't save the copy paper printed out stuff. I've used mobile version a couple times. I suppose I could take a screenshot.

Anyway, TOOL tonight! St. Paul, here we come! Excited to take "the boy" to his first Tool show, he's pumped.

Was worried about the mobile route since my drummer's got a cracked screen(huh, looks like one of his cymbals). So going will call. Kinda hoping for a legit ticket but not getting hopes up.

I miss them, too. I get tix mailed whenever I can. I've started keeping PDFs of the tix I have to print, but it's not quite the same.

We had to go ticketless when we got Penguins season tix this year. Aside from the pain of keeping track of the card all season, my daughter was p!ssed because, until this season, she had the ticket for every Penguin game she'd been to. I've threatened to do a frame of a bunch of my stubs over 30+ years (sadly, I lost a few of the early ones). So far, I've only done it for some signed stubs.

Tacking on the Foo Fighters in November. Thinking bout hitting Primus/Clutch in August too.
I miss them, too. I get tix mailed whenever I can. I've started keeping PDFs of the tix I have to print, but it's not quite the same.

We had to go ticketless when we got Penguins season tix this year. Aside from the pain of keeping track of the card all season, my daughter was p!ssed because, until this season, she had the ticket for every Penguin game she'd been to. I've threatened to do a frame of a bunch of my stubs over 30+ years (sadly, I lost a few of the early ones). So far, I've only done it for some signed stubs.
Well we did end up with old school tixs which was cool. Gonna put together a collage of some pics with the ticket. It was a great show.

Wednesday was comedians Doug Stanhope and Morgan Murphy. Stanhope is always a win for me. Definitely not a mainstream taste. This was the first time I saw Morgan Murphy - she was very funny as well. I'll definitely see them again.

Thursday was going to be the documentary Hired Gun, but Boscoe France came to my local PRS dealer, so the movie was skipped. But that's in another thread (FWIW, Boscoe's new CD - produced by PRSh - is five tracks of goodness).

Friday was the Marshall Tucker Band. I can't claim to be a huge fan, but I grabbed tix when they went on sale because my buddy is a huge fan. The singer is the only original member left, but he continued the band w/the other members' blessing. They seemed to be playing a pretty loose set - they changed songs a couple times. Lots of good guitar playing. They played about 90 minutes, but like my buddy said, "I guess that's a long set for 70-year-old guys."

The opening band was a trio called The Steppin' Stones, led by a 20-year-old named Hannah Jean Wicklund. She said she's had the band for 11 years. She's a very tasteful player - not all flash and showing off. She really plays to the song. They played a nice set, and I grabbed their CDs at the intermission. Had a nice chat with her about Buddy Guy. They'll be releasing a new album around January, and are slated to be touring again. I'll be back.

Hopefully going to see JD Simo on the 21st here in ATL. I missed him earlier in the year and have regretted it. It's a really small venue so I'm guessing I won't be able to hear for a few days afterward - not the worst thing in the world when you have a 10 year old and an 8 year old... haha.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Queens of the Stone Age with Royal Blood opening in October. (Especially Royal Blood -- only just discovered them but really like everything of theirs.)

Hopefully going to see JD Simo on the 21st here in ATL. I missed him earlier in the year and have regretted it. It's a really small venue so I'm guessing I won't be able to hear for a few days afterward - not the worst thing in the world when you have a 10 year old and an 8 year old... haha.

I love SIMO. Those are guys are great and really nice people as well. They have a new album coming out soon as well.

I love SIMO. Those are guys are great and really nice people as well. They have a new album coming out soon as well.

Cool! Had not heard about the new SIMO disc. We saw them open for Ace Frehley - it was the third Ace show in something like 15 months. The first two times, the opener was pretty bad (same band, slightly different configuration between the two shows). SIMO was the third, and by far the best opener both in performance and fit for the show. Talked to JD a bit afterwards - very nice guy. I'd definitely check them out again.

Cool! Had not heard about the new SIMO disc. We saw them open for Ace Frehley - it was the third Ace show in something like 15 months. The first two times, the opener was pretty bad (same band, slightly different configuration between the two shows). SIMO was the third, and by far the best opener both in performance and fit for the show. Talked to JD a bit afterwards - very nice guy. I'd definitely check them out again.

Yeah by all accounts he's a great guy. The music I've heard from the upcoming record is really, really good. And boy can that guy play.

Really wanted to see Seether, especially on this tour with Clint Lowery! I'm going to miss their August show locally in Minneapolis due to work. Instead, I'm going to see them later in August in San Antonio. I've never been there, and found some easy direct flights from home. My wife and I are making a weekend of it. Also, I've always wanted to see the Riverwalk. What better time to visit Texas than late August.....!!!!

Kevin

Foo Fighters is our show so I was able to score some sweet seats. Too bad I had to pay for them this time around since it was a no comp show.
Cool. Our seats aren't great - 200 level. But I'm happy to have gotten tickets at face value. The last couple times I tried for FF tix, they were sold out right away. Nice that it's in Madison too.

Ok, just got home from Last In Line. Vivian Campbell, Vinnie Appice, Phil Soussan on bass, Eric Nordlander on keys, and Andrew Freeman on vox. Playing Campbell era Dio songs, and a couple from their new CD. I gotta say, best $20 concert I've seen since 1984 when concerts were only $20! No offense to Def Lep, but Vivain can still TEAR IT UP! I saw Andrew Freeman with Lynch Mob about ten years ago....killer pipes. He does Ronnie justice. Vinnie is killer on the drums, and Phil is a true veteran on the bass. If they are coming to your area, and you want a blast from the past, do yourself a favor and buy a ticket. There were about 500 people in an 800 seat venue tonight. All I can say is, 300 people missed out!

This is the beginning of a busy 10 day period for me. Tonight's show. Roger Waters Sunday. Paul McCartney Tuesday. Nugent next Sunday. Just like old times!

Just for fun, think I'll add Quiet Riot/Blackfoot and Lynch Mob to my show list. Just to hang out with some old buddies and pretend it's the 80s!

Metal up your a$$!!!!!!!!

Careful with that Quiet Riot show - rumor is they may pull your ticket to be the lead singer for the night! :eek:

Slow period for me. More comedy shows than anything right now, but Davy Knowles is a week away. Hugely looking forward to that. They just announced King Crimson for this fall - grabbing those tix this week.

Passing on Nugent again this year - just not feeling the trio format. He's better w/a second guitarist.

Caught Jimmy Burns at B.L.U.E.S. Chicago earlier this year, that was a treat. Old guy's still got some mojo!

I'm downright ticked at myself for missing the on sale date for ZZ Top and the Doobie Brothers. Doubt either band is going to be touring too many more years.

Hoping to catch John Mayall instead, need to check if the tix are on sale yet. Think Buddy Whittington is in his band again this year.

Last edited:
Back