2017 Summer Concert Anticipation

18A2CC48-8346-481B-B0FA-CAF750E1E8D1_zpsdraosu53.jpg

Yup. :D

86AA83D0-1520-4466-8971-FA24A4D55ACB_zpsunv40t0p.jpg

Next Sunday - Richie Kotzen - very cool small venue (Atlanta City Winery)
June 10 - Something completely different: Ronnie Milsap (not really my thing, but my pal who goes to all the fusion shows with me wanted to go)

Next Sunday - Richie Kotzen - very cool small venue (Atlanta City Winery)
June 10 - Something completely different: Ronnie Milsap (not really my thing, but my pal who goes to all the fusion shows with me wanted to go)
I see Richie tomorrow night here in VA

Last night ended a run for me of four shows and a hockey game (and refereeing two soccer games) in six days - and that was with passing on Mastodon because it was scheduled for outdoors, but I found out afterwards that it was moved indoors because the weather was cold and rainy. Styx, Mitch Fatel (the Mastodon sub), Buddy Guy and last night was Fozzy and Kyng. First time to see Kyng and Fozzy, although I'd heard a couple tunes from each. Very impressed by both of them. Fozzy went over HUGE - Chris Jericho seemed stunned at the reaction, and filmed it a couple times. They did their cover of SOS - nicely done. First time I ever saw a concert crowd chant a thank you and "please come back".

Forgot to tell this bit yesterday. In the movie The Graduate, there's a famous scene where the payoff word is "plastics".

At the Fozzy/Kyng show, the first band was a local band that's gotten some airplay. I won't name them, but let's call them Through The Walls because that's what they call themselves. If I were to recreate that scene with them, the word would be "tuners", or perhaps more accurately, "tunersandlearnhowytousethemboys". I get that instruments can sometimes go out of tune (when my go out of tune, they sound better), but this seemed a bit over the top to me, especially because I'm not as sensitive to tuning as some folks are (meaning there are times people have said something was out of tune and I couldn't hear it). The topper was when the singer started a tune, then stopped and said, "Sorry, this is out of tune. Give me a sec." He then proceeded to tune up, unmuted and started up again.

And was still out of tune.

My one show this summer is Dead & Company in mid-June. Looking forward to seeing Bobby & John again. Last summer was my first "Dead" show and I've become a big fan of the material over the year, just soaking in the catalog of the original material and watching tons of the past two D & Co tours.

Ween in Boston, Dead and Co. at Fenway Park, 2 nights of Phish at MSG.

Olivia Newton-John coming up this weekend. Have to be careful at that show - I'm close enough she might try to get physical.

ZZ Top tix go on sale Wednesday - a day I have to be in the office. Hopefully the site works on my phone.

ZZ Top tix go on sale Wednesday - a day I have to be in the office. Hopefully the site works on my phone.

FWIW, I've actually had better luck getting in demand tix through the Ticketmaster app than I have their website on a PC. Hamilton, Streisand, McCartney in a matter of minutes while the website choked.

Download '17 in a week's time! A week in Spain in the sun, and then a very long weekend in a tent at Donington for Download. What a cracking fortnight awaits.....but i'll be pining for my guitars by I get home.

FWIW, I've actually had better luck getting in demand tix through the Ticketmaster app than I have their website on a PC. Hamilton, Streisand, McCartney in a matter of minutes while the website choked.

Fortunately, this venue runs their own ticket sales. One of the things I love about it.

Fortunately, this venue runs their own ticket sales. One of the things I love about it.

Sweet! There are a couple places around here that still do that. One of them has a lot of good shows roll through too. Wish more places still did this.

Taking my 12yo son to see Eric Johnson next Monday. Haven't seen Eric live since the early 90s...really looking forward to it!

Back