2016 Challenge

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
I saw this on another forum and thought it was a great idea, so I'm stealing it for here (with a small modification or two).

Pick a song and/or a solo that you don't already know, learn it, record it, and post it here, in this thread, sometime in 2016.

Doesn't matter if it's an original or a cover (although it clearly lends itself to covers).

Doesn't matter if you learn it by ear, pick up the sheet music/transcription, or find an online lesson.

Doesn't matter if you play it solo, if you work up a full backing part, if you play over a backing track or with a band. Like Bo says, Just Do It.

Just for fun, and to keep it purely 2016, make it something you aren't already working on. Which hits me, because I have two things (maybe three) in the works, and this eliminates those.

It should be interesting to see what we all come up with...

Made my choice: I'm finally gonna learn "Circumstances."

I actually just played that one this afternoon.

My new Akesson sounds really good in dropped D tuning, so I'm leaning toward something by either Tool or Ghost.

I actually just played that one this afternoon.

My new Akesson sounds really good in dropped D tuning, so I'm leaning toward something by either Tool or Ghost.

Nice. I've actually been working in "From The Pinnacle To The Pit" (started it about two weeks ago, so not eligible for this). It's tuned down a full step, according to the tab I have. Took a little setup work on my Petrucci, but it's getting there.

Love me some Ghost! I'll probably do Cirice. I'm too lazy to detune, so I'll just do it in drop D and learn it that way.

Made my choice: I'm finally gonna learn "Circumstances." For some reason that's the only track on the Hemispheres album that I've never even attempted to work on...
Unholy carp, you worked on side one and "La Villa Strangiato"?!?!? The latter being one of my favourites.

Unholy carp, you worked on side one and "La Villa Strangiato"?!?!? The latter being one of my favourites.

Heh! For some perverse reason when I first picked up the guitar, I first started picking out AC/DC songs, then went straight to the Hemispheres and 2112 albums (Van Halen was the other choice and that was just too scary!). As a rank beginner, I learned LVS really really wrong! I've been correcting those mistakes slowly for the last 35-odd years... I finally learned the intro to "The Trees" right earlier this year. I'm slow..!

Cool thread!

I'm trying to become a more entertaining dinner guest, so I accept this challenge and plan to learn this song:

I'm looking forward to the vocals.

I wasn't going to suggest that Sergio oralize the song...

Rodney Carrington has one, too - complete with inflatable accessories, thus a link, not the actual video here (even though the blow-ups, no pun intended) are cartoonish.

Makes me wish I could sing well enough to pull that off.

So to speak.

ETA: I didn't put that in a media tag. The software did it on its own. It's sentient!!!!

Ok! I'm in before the talented people scare me off!

The Dodge commercial has this song stuck in my head so I had to get it out. Couldn't do it fingerstyle because of trigger finger on my right hand, but I had fun anyway.

https://soundcloud.com/onemorerob/bs1
Nice. I'm more a beer commercial guy, but haven't tried any new ones since the challenge was issued.

OK. I'll play. I've wanted to play this song (Welcome All Again) from the first time I saw Collective Soul open with it. Bryan (Queencity), Markie, and I got together for a jam at Markie's last Saturday. I wasn't sure how to play the opening riff, so I asked Bryan, and he figured it out in about 45 seconds. (Thanks, Bryan!)

Anyway, I'm playing along with the sound track to give it some reference.

Last edited:
Back