2011 Ted McCarty SC245

Update...

I traded into this Ted SC245: the Ted + cash for my 2006 Gibson Historic 1957 Goldtop Les Paul Standard, with the intention of flipping the PRS to raise more funds (to take care of an unexpected tax bill). So far, however, I am liking this PRS more than I anticipated; I am going to hold on to it for a while, maybe sell something else instead. I did the trade deal with a friend who really liked my Les Paul, so I was happy to work out a deal to let the Goldtop go to him instead of selling it outright to a stranger.

I had played this Ted SC245 before, and I already knew I liked it- but it's growing on me even more. I really like the taller frets (compared to the Les Paul) and the coil tap option is a big plus. However, I do prefer the feel of the string tension on the Les Paul. On the Ted, I am surprised that it feels like the strings are under higher tension than on the Goldtop, even though the SC245 has a shorter scale length (both guitars have the same gauge and brand of strings, with action set the same- measured at 12th fret- and with the same amount of neck relief (almost no relief is my preference). The string tension is not a huge difference, but it is noticeable; perhaps it's just my perception because of the differing neck shapes (the Les Paul neck is like a baseball bat). In all details aside from string tension, I am really enjoying this guitar over the Les Paul. I think it will be with me for a while- or perhaps longer...

-Joe

Last edited:
She’s a beaut! Hopefully you can hang on to her.

I have similar experiences with both my LPs and my SCs. I think the string tension is not only related to the scale length but also the difference between the tuneomatic bridge versus the stop tail. Physically longer strings with the 2 piece bridge and the extra bit of string behind the bridge has a bit more “give/stretch”?
Not a physics major but that’s my take. Maybe someone more edu-macated can explain if that’s true.

She’s a beaut! Hopefully you can hang on to her.

I have similar experiences with both my LPs and my SCs. I think the string tension is not only related to the scale length but also the difference between the tuneomatic bridge versus the stop tail. Physically longer strings with the 2 piece bridge and the extra bit of string behind the bridge has a bit more “give/stretch”?
Not a physics major but that’s my take. Maybe someone more edu-macated can explain if that’s true.

Good point about the stoptail vs. two-piece bridge/tailpiece- I forgot about that aspect. I think that explains it.

Another update...

I tweaked the action a little more, now it’s feeling more like I prefer it. I also think it’s feeling better because my chops are coming back; my hands are getting back into shape because this guitar has inspired me to play more since I got it last week.

Anyway...I’m really digging this Ted SC245.

-Joe

I've not seen any Teds from 2014 but I bet they're out there.

Moore has a NOS 2014 Ted McCarty 245 - it's a WL run, and friggin' delicious looking (and I'm really not a fan of a singlecut shape - any brand) with the Santana headstock. Killer price as well since it's on Clearance.

Last edited:
Another update...

Almost five months later and I am still LOVING this Ted McCarty SC245...!! Fortunately I haven't had to to sell it for money reasons (business has been a little better since February). It sounds, feels, and plays so beautifully. I like it so much better than any Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul I have ever played or owned- and there have been many. Even with the pickups in single coil mode (push/pulls on tone controls)- it sounds KILLER. As most of you know, humbuckers in coil split mode can sometimes sound like a compromise, but not so AT ALL on this guitar. Same with my DGT Standard, by the way: the DGT coil split tones are also spectacular. In fact, I use my DGT in coil split mode more often than in full humbucker mode.

I don't mean to come off as a total PRS "fanboy"- my assessment is based on playing/gigging (and studying various guitar styles- jazz, classical, country, rock, blues, etc...) for almost 40 years, as well as on years of experience working on (as a repair tech./luthier) literally THOUSANDS of guitars and basses of all types. I have owned several PRS and Gibson guitars over the years, and in addition to this exceptionally great(!!) Ted SC245, I also currently own a 2012 DGT Standard (all mahogany) and a 2013 Custom 22 (HFS and Vintage Bass pickups). These three PRS guitars are among the best of the best (all in factory-stock condition, no mods or pickup swaps) of any guitars I have ever owned and/or played. This is in comparison to several "golden era" Gibsons (real 1959 "burst" Les Pauls, 1959 and 1960 ES-335s, including one of only a few real ES-335s in natural which were built in 1960 and a '59 ES-335 formerly owned by Mike Landau), and various 1950s and 1960s-vintage Fenders.

Anyway...I'm not trying to brag- just thought you all might like an update.

-Joe

Another update...

Almost five months later and I am still LOVING this Ted McCarty SC245...!! Fortunately I haven't had to to sell it for money reasons (business has been a little better since February). It sounds, feels, and plays so beautifully. I like it so much better than any Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul I have ever played or owned- and there have been many. Even with the pickups in single coil mode (push/pulls on tone controls)- it sounds KILLER. As most of you know, humbuckers in coil split mode can sometimes sound like a compromise, but not so AT ALL on this guitar. Same with my DGT Standard, by the way: the DGT coil split tones are also spectacular. In fact, I use my DGT in coil split mode more often than in full humbucker mode.

I don't mean to come off as a total PRS "fanboy"- my assessment is based on playing/gigging (and studying various guitar styles- jazz, classical, country, rock, blues, etc...) for almost 40 years, as well as on years of experience working on (as a repair tech./luthier) literally THOUSANDS of guitars and basses of all types. I have owned several PRS and Gibson guitars over the years, and in addition to this exceptionally great(!!) Ted SC245, I also currently own a 2012 DGT Standard (all mahogany) and a 2013 Custom 22 (HFS and Vintage Bass pickups). These three PRS guitars are among the best of the best (all in factory-stock condition, no mods or pickup swaps) of any guitars I have ever owned and/or played. This is in comparison to several "golden era" Gibsons (real 1959 "burst" Les Pauls, 1959 and 1960 ES-335s, including one of only a few real ES-335s in natural which were built in 1960 and a '59 ES-335 formerly owned by Mike Landau), and various 1950s and 1960s-vintage Fenders.

Anyway...I'm not trying to brag- just thought you all might like an update.

-Joe

Greta update! I love my SC Ted, too! Fabulous guitar.

Back