2009 McCarty vs McCarty 58

cubman

I posted this thread on the electric instrument column but thought I'd also try it here in the Tech column to see if I can get some additional feedback...... I just joined the PRS forum as I haven't found an answer to this question elsewhere..... A brief history; I had a 2001 McCarty with the McCarty pickups for a number of years..... I sold it not too long ago and recently bought a 2009 McCarty with the 57/08 pickups.... (I do know that my 2009 is a lot brighter/clearer sounding guitar than the 2001 which in large part to do with the pickups......) PRS now has the McCarty 58...... I'm curious as to the tonal differences between my 2009 McCarty with it's .022 cap from the center lug of the vol pot and the McCarty 58 with a .033 to the left lug on the vol pot? Also the McCarty 58 has the two resistors, a 1.1k and a 2.2k, on the tone pot...... I received a good technical answer from John Beef confirming my thoughts on the wiring differences between the stock McCarty and the 58...... What I'd really like to hear from someone is just how the McCarty 58 differs sonically/tonally from my 2009 McCarty...... Also, how much do the resistors on the tone pot affect the tone of the single coil sound? Is the volume between the humbucker and single coil mode fairly even with the added resistors? Are these two changes an improvement in your opinion..... If so, why? I live on a fairly small island and so don't have access to many PRS's....... Thanks for your thoughts......

Back