2 channel custom 50 head, why no love?

They are, indeed, the half-back cabs and originally came with c90s on top and EV12Ls in the bottom. The tops have a removable back panel to go completely closed back or open. The bottom is ported. The do sound fantastic! Right now, one is loaded with 2 C90s and the other has WGS ET65+Vet30. Both are killers.

Btw, they weigh a ton with or without the EVs. These have been gigged pretty hard for about 25 years and still look great. Do NOT drop one on your foot!

But honestly, with my PRS amp, the pine 2x12 and 1x12 loaded with V30 is the best pairing, by far. PRS did a great job researching speakers and the pine versions don't sound like V30s, to me. The Big Mouth version sounds just like the Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab. So if you're looking for vintage tone, go with the pine...modern, go with the Big Mouth.

Last edited:
I still really want to get a second Grissom pine cab and try it with some of the new Celestion Cream Alnico 90s.

I love the sound of an Alnico speaker, and it'd be nice to have a semi open back cab loaded with a pair that can handle any amp I am likely to ever own!

My guess - just a guess - is that the semi open back cab would be a better match for an alnico speaker than a closed back cab. Any thoughts on that?

sdallas1.jpg

stack3.jpg

I've wanted one of those vertical 2x12s ever since I started playing guitar, thanks for rekindling the GAS!

Back