2 Channel 50 Speaker Choice

Chester

Looking at a used Custom 50 with PRS 2x12 cab, which is tempting

The cab is 240W max output wired at 8 ohms. Would this come loaded with G12 65H's or V30's? Didn't think two V30's threw that out

What are you guys using with your Custom 50's? Which is the better option for classic rock / blues playing in your experience?

Speakers are all personal preference. I don’t know of any stock PRS 2x12 cabs (with stock speakers) that can take 240 Watt input levels without blowing up, though. 4x12s, yes, 4 V30s or similar can take that input level.

Speakers are all personal preference. I don’t know of any stock PRS 2x12 cabs (with stock speakers) that can take 240 Watt input levels without blowing up, though. 4x12s, yes, 4 V30s or similar can take that input level.

Indeed - didn't make sense to me either Les. But here I sit looking at a shot of the speaker label which clearly says 2x12, Max power 240W, 8 Ohm

I'll contact Tech support and see what' up

Thanks for the response

Hmm... I've had my Custom 50 for a couple years now... fantastic amp! Takes pedals like a gem, in fact I use it for a clean platform in a lot of cases.

What I've found in regard to speakers has been mixed. The amp isn't overly bright, also certainly not lacking midrange, so with V30's, it really depends on what you want to do. Lead tones with the right pedal or gain channel in the amp are righteous with lots of mid cut and not piercing, which is where the amp really shines with V30's. Rhythm tones are also good if you want that honky cut. On the flip side, the amp can be so mid focused with V30's that the tone doesn't have much chime or bite without really maxing out the presence, bright switch, etc.,and too mushy on the bottom for punchy rock and blues riffs. It really accentuates that "mid honk" that people talk about with V30's.

I have an older "SE" 2x12 with some OEM Eminence speakers made to PRS spec, more aggressive highs and lows and less mid than the V30's, and I would say they're a better all-around speaker for the amp, if you play more modern music - although there are times I miss the mid cut of the V30's. I don't know what to say they're like from experience, but I by speaker descriptions, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of Lead 80 or G12t-75, which PRS is using now, I suspect due to the same reasons I went for something with different character. The V type speakers may also be a very cool match for this amp.

Someone mentioned in another thread recently that the Archon can change its character nicely with different speakers, and I would say the same about the C50. A nice neutral (in a good way) sound that can do a lot of things depending on what else is in the chain with it.

But here I sit looking at a shot of the speaker label which clearly says 2x12, Max power 240W, 8 Ohm
Can you post a pic? I don't claim to know everything, (no, really!) but that's 2 x 120 watt speakers. I don't even know of any speakers rated at 120 watts... that's an odd number. Now, if someone accidentally stuck a label off a 4 x cab on a 2 x cab, then...

Can you post a pic? I don't claim to know everything, (no, really!) but that's 2 x 120 watt speakers. I don't even know of any speakers rated at 120 watts... that's an odd number. Now, if someone accidentally stuck a label off a 4 x cab on a 2 x cab, then...

Yep - that's what I was thinking although it clearly states the cab is a 2x12, and looks like it. I've asked tech support what they supplied, which will hopefully clarify things. Can't post a pic, but it's this rig that Bernie is playing through in the link below

Sounds insane :D:D

that's a 2x12 cab in that picture, I was just thinking maybe somebody put the wrong sticker on it.

Sean at PRS came back to me and confirmed that particular cab has V30's in it. Looks like the power handling spec is off, but now we know

I pick up that rig Friday, so the weekend will be extra special as I bond with my first PRS amp. More to follow...:cool:

Back