2 Channel 50 Custom Impedance Question

Bear115

I got my brand new 2 channel custom 50 combo from a dealer. Got it home and plugged it in. Sounds Awesome!
Noticed after an hour that the sticker on the back said the speaker impedance is 16 ohms, the amp came from the dealer set at 8 ohms.
I am assuming I need to change that switch to 16, but do you think I may have damaged anything?

You didn't damage anything. A 16 ohm speaker can run out of an 8 ohm tap on modern amps without damaging it.

The other way is the not good one, running an 8 ohm speaker on a 16 ohm amp out would be rough on the amp. Your situation was ok. Some folks do it intentionally cuz they like the sound. My Mesa owners manual says something like "speaker must be AT LEAST the value of the speaker setting", meaning you can go higher but not lower.

I got to play it more last night and really crank it up. What an AMP!! This thing has more tone and crunch than anything I have had before. I can throw away at least two pedals. Sustain is unbelievable. We had two Fender amps sitting there beside it, and it completely dominated both of them in tone and performance. Only thing is, it is loud! I think the 20 watt model would have been something I should have considered, but I ain't going back. We could not turn the master up past 2 on the lead channel and stay in the room.

Back