2 cables for Piezo and magnetic ? options?

Callan

hack guitarist..
Hi,
I was wondering what others on here are using for 2 cables on their HB2, P22, etc. guitars with dual outputs for Magnetic and Piezo

Are you running just 2 single cables, or have you got something more elaborate set up?
I'm not sure of the best way to do this, either with a single 2 core cable that has 2 TS plugs, or maybe even changing one of the sockets to accept a stereo (TRS) plug, and then split it out at the pedal board?

Cheers,
Callan

To avoid having too big of a trip hazard at my feet, I'm running the Piezo pickup using a short 90-Degree plug into a wireless transmitter attached to my strap. I'm running my magnetic pups' output through a standard guitar cord into my Pedal board. This is working well for me, for now.

Now that I think about it, I should get me another wireless unit. IT NEVER ENDS!!!!!!!!!

I don't use a piezo, but I use multipair cables in my studio. These are cables that incorporate two or more separate connections (some of my wires have 16 channels!).

Mogami makes a very lightweight two-pair snake cable that isn't really thicker than a standard guitar cable, and it's good stuff, well shielded, etc. You can terminate it in two quarter inch plugs on each end. Don't be fooled by the pic of the multipair cable in the pic on the link, the two pair snake is very thin.

http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/snake/

You can't buy it pre-made, but it's not difficult to solder up. If you're wary of your own soldering skills, you might be able to get it from someone who offers terminated cables, like a studio maintenance outfit, or maybe even someone like Lava. I think Canare also makes very high quality multipair cable.

Another possibility is nylon sleeving over two cables; in some cases these can be used with a heat gun to shrink the sleeving to make the cabling very compact.

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/ame...-pla-559.php?gclid=CMGE96fLzb8CFehaMgodFlIA3w

The problem with using cable ties every foot or so is that it's more difficult to work with the cable-tied result because there are those square things that catch on everything, including your hands that can get pretty raw from abrasion when winding the cable.

Last edited:
That's cool, Les. I didn't know Mogami did that.

I've used a Planet Waves dual cable (basically two cables attached side-by-side). They got noisy. I also,have a pair of Mogami Golds that I used a short Velcro strap every foot or two to attach, much like Jamie's zip ties, but without the rough edges, etc. In one band, I switch between guitar and lapsteel often, so I'm back to just running two cables, and always leaving the piezo plugged in.

I do really like the idea of a wireless pack for the piezo. I'll have to splurge one of these days.

Thanks for all the ideas.
Egads & JMintzer, do you find the second plug gets in the way when using other, single output guitars?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the ideas.
Egads & JMintzer, do you find the second plug gets in the way when using other, single output guitars?

Not sure I understand the question...

I only use the double cable for my HBII Piezo. I have regular single cables for my other guitars...

Cables are cheap!

Hey Jamie,
I normally use a single cable from my pedalboard to which ever guitar I'm playing, muting the amp then using the same cable again when changing.
I don't switch out guitars too often mid-set, but I always have a spare and mix it up a little bit through the night.

Now I'm trying to come up with the best way to do this since I got my HB2.
I don't really want to be dragging 2 different cables behind me
If they are joined together that will be OK, but for times when I'm not playing the HB2, the second jack might be swinging in the breeze.

Perhaps I just need to get an A/B box for the pedalboard input and switch between the single cable guitars and the HB2 - leaving both always plugged in with separate cables.

I know cables are cheap, but I do like to try and keep the stage neat and would have preferred not to add more cables than needed.

Thanks,
Callan

Yeah, I get that...

I also have a VooDoo Labs Amp Selector that allows multiple inputs if needed...

I've done both, but until recently, I had a single cable for my other guitars and lapsteel, and the double for the piezo guitars.i either used a splitter or just changed which cable plugged in to the pedalboard (trying to keep things out of the signal chain). At the most recent gig, I just ran two separate cables and left the piezo plugged in all the time, and swapped the magnetic pup cable between guitars.

I've also used a pair of short dual mono to TRS splitters with a TRS cable (two mono ends coming out of the guitar into a TRS cable! the split again at the pedalboard.

Try it a few different ways and see if something really works for you or really bugs you.

I use my Line6 G50 in the electric jack, which is routed on my pedal board, and run a 90 degree regular cable out of the piezo jack, which runs through an inline converter to the PA.

I've had so many different set ups over the years. My latest project converting my CE24 to a piezo conversion, I've discovered the Graphtech acousti-phonic will automatically sense what cable you plugged in when using the stereo output jack. If mono 1/4 cable, it sends both mag/piezo blended. If stereo cable used, it will automatically separate them so you can use mag one side and piezo the other. Very convenient IMHO.

Another possibility is nylon sleeving over two cables; in some cases these can be used with a heat gun to shrink the sleeving to make the cabling very compact.
George L's .155 cable is perfect for this application as it is both thin and flexible. I have been using the same George L cables for over 25 years. They sound great, are reliable and the solderless plugs are well thought out.

Those cable management Velcro strips that necro can attach to the cable work post really well and leaves the cables easy to separate.

I run two cords zip tied together every foot or so...

Noob.

Noob.

Mine has two outputs, not just one...

One goes to my tube amp, the other to either my AER Acoustic amp or straight to the PA...

Mine has two outputs, not just one...

One goes to my tube amp, the other to either my AER Acoustic amp or straight to the PA...

Well, in that case, you'll want one of [these] bad boys. Alternatively, you could just zip-tie two of your existing mono cables together. :cool:

Kidding aside, I once thought the 'mix' output jack might support a stereo to mono split (accomplishing what you're doing with your zip-tie solution). A few years ago I bought a splitter cable to test that theory. I remember buying the cable. I did not remember the outcome of my test. After I tested it again (this morning), I remembered.

It didn't work. Again.

I hereby rescind my tongue-in-cheek-accusation that you are a 'noob'. I'm sure you'll come up with a creative way to remind me that there is egg all over my face. Enjoy this moment. :)

For use with the band, I use two wireless units. I use a digital unit for the magnetic pickups and an analog unit for the piezo. The wireless on the piezo runs into a Fishman Aura then XLR to the board. If I use it at home practicing, I just use two cables.

Back