1x12

I am using a little crate 1x12 that I got from Brian C on my H at the moment he turned it into a closed back cab and it sounds killer Ill see what speaker is in it if that helps
but I think it has to do more with the closed back and the insulation in there

Andy and Gush: I like the PJ better than all three versions of Celestion Greenback I had in house to compare it to. Sold all three Celesions. Private Jack has the mids you want, but not the crispy top end, even before break-in.

And Gush: If you want a 1x with that amp you probably want a 100 watt speaker so I'd go Scumback M or Warehouse ET90. I've used my PJ (which I think is rated 50 watts) with my 50 watt Archon but never really jacked it up. It sounds great with that amp. I love the 5150 as well (most used amp in my Atomic Amplifire) and think a GB type pairs well with the amp. (That's the IRs I use most with it). It's what Eddie has used most over the years. But you need a high power one or you'll roast it with that beast.

Andy and Gush: I like the PJ better than all three versions of Celestion Greenback I had in house to compare it to. Sold all three Celesions. Private Jack has the mids you want, but not the crispy top end, even before break-in.

And Gush: If you want a 1x with that amp you probably want a 100 watt speaker so I'd go Scumback M or Warehouse ET90. I've used my PJ (which I think is rated 50 watts) with my 50 watt Archon but never really jacked it up. It sounds great with that amp. I love the 5150 as well (most used amp in my Atomic Amplifire) and think a GB type pairs well with the amp. (That's the IRs I use most with it). It's what Eddie has used most over the years. But you need a high power one or you'll roast it with that beast.

Thanks man. I've thought about just throwing a greenback in there since I know I like those. I would only use the 1x in smallish clubs and use one or both 4x12s when needed. I may get by but we all know how guitar players can be and I'm no exception.

The prs 1x I have is closed back I can't remember how much insulation is in it. I only opened it up once to swap speaker.
How much does the insulation matter? I really don't have a clue.

Les - I've actually wondered how well that would work to audition speakers, may grab a load box soon, so that would be a cool way to go.

It may be one of those “YMMV” things, but I find it helpful.

Because of it, I’ve learned that my next speaker cab will have a pair of Alnico Cream 90s in it (but bear in mind, I like a classic vintage tone). The Cream 90s would (I think) work especially well with my DG30.

It’s great to be able to a) use my own favorite amps with a load box and some IRs to experiment with speaker and cab configurations, and (b) it’s nice to have the option of using headphones with any amplifier of my choosing.

I use mine often. I might add a UA Ox box, and if so, you’re welcome to borrow my Cab Clone for a few days.

Thanks man. I've thought about just throwing a greenback in there since I know I like those. I would only use the 1x in smallish clubs and use one or both 4x12s when needed. I may get by but we all know how guitar players can be and I'm no exception.

The prs 1x I have is closed back I can't remember how much insulation is in it. I only opened it up once to swap speaker.
How much does the insulation matter? I really don't have a clue.
I don’t know how much insulation is in the 1x, but it is in there for tone, not power handling. (Although, in theory it could add some power handling capacity simply because of it’s damping properties. But whatever is in there, make sure to leave it in.

I’d say get a Private Jack. They’re affordable and can handle 50 watts, and a greenback type is not as efficient as a V30 so you can turn the amp up closer to it’s sweet spot and still not be crazy loud. Double the power handling, IMO, better tone and way less expensive than a Celestion. I have heard good things about the Warehouse ET65 as well, but always am careful to say I have not heard or played one in person. I can vouch for the PJ having owned one for... probably 10 years now and having tried it with at least 15 different amps.

Not sure if they ever did 16ohm versions, but when I use a guitar cab it's only a 1x12 loaded with an EVM12L. They were never cheap, but I could throw ANYTHING at them and the result was a clear tone that represented the AMP, not the speaker being pulverized. I have used them with MUCH satisfaction with high gain, medium and low gain amps. It is the number 1 secret to my sound.

Not sure if they ever did 16ohm versions, but when I use a guitar cab it's only a 1x12 loaded with an EVM12L. They were never cheap, but I could throw ANYTHING at them and the result was a clear tone that represented the AMP, not the speaker being pulverized. I have used them with MUCH satisfaction with high gain, medium and low gain amps. It is the number 1 secret to my sound.

But what if you like the sound of a speaker being pulverized?

On the other hand, let’s hear some clips so we can get a handle on your sound as a point of reference! :)

But what if you like the sound of a speaker being pulverized?

On the other hand, let’s hear some clips so we can get a handle on your sound as a point of reference! :)

As requested, clips to demonstrate my sound:

This is the sound of my current band. This demonstrates the use of the EVM speaker in a "higher gain" context:

https://soundcloud.com/mdenman/last-crusade-4-12-17

This clip is the sound I use in my Southern Rock/Country/Americana project:

https://soundcloud.com/mdenman/the-hard-way

This clip represents the sound I use when doing instrumental music:

https://soundcloud.com/mdenman/oh-so-smooth

Sounds darn fine, markd!

If memory serves, Duane Allman used EVs in his Marshall cabs, and took the backs of the cabinets off as well. His sound was always a huge favorite. I think Bonamassa used them also for a long time.

Sounds darn fine, markd!

If memory serves, Duane Allman used EVs in his Marshall cabs, and took the backs of the cabinets off as well. His sound was always a huge favorite. I think Bonamassa used them also for a long time.

Thanks!!

Yeah, I used to be crazy and use a 4x12 with them loaded in. Talk about HEAVY. It was miserable. I was VERY happy to shrink to a 1x12.

AHHHH, yes - good thing to mention....the EVM does sound better in an open-back cab.

Yes. Less dark - some of the "cut" we expect to hear happens more naturally when that speaker has room to "breathe". In closed back cabs, the EVM feels more compressed and seems to lack high end. Compensating by adding treble of presence seems too make everything sound "smaller"....it's hard to explain. I have often felt that, while in the guitar frequency range, the EVM still feels full range enough to have a PA-cab vibe. The open back cabs will eliminate that.

That feels rambling....hopefully it makes sense.

Before I do anything, I will play music through my 1x12 cab this whole weekend. See if it just needed more breakin time. It will drive my wife nuts but almost everything I do drives her nuts!

If that makes a significant difference, I might even put v30 back in it and see if more breakin time will soften it up a bit.

The G12-75 can be a great sounding speaker. It just needs to be pummeled a bit. While I talk up the EVM endlessly, one of my favorite cabs was my Marshall JCM900 1936 2x12. It had a pair of 75s. At low volume it was horrible. Get that thing onstage with some power hitting it, things came to life. It went from being a depressing buzz box to having real nice tone.

Also, considering the V30.....I am with you - I never cared for it as an exclusive speaker, though I have managed to make it work. Often when you do festivals, or fly dates a backline will be provided. Often, these days, that backline will be a 4x12 with V30s. To me, that is a nightmare scenario. My solution tends to be simple, but odd. I will set the amp EQ at noon, with presence and focus/resonance off. A lot of times I end up keeping mids and bass, while reducing treble. I let the volume add back the highs. Once I have the gain/volume where I need it, I will dial in any presence/resonance needed to fill out the sound. It looks weird on the amp, but I let my ears guide me more than my eyes. Side note....I am talking about playing at stage volume.

I’ve considered an EV for years, but especially now that I have a Mesa Thiele cab... Since I may well be “Boogieless” soon, I wonder how that would work with the Archon. Truth is, I was dead set on an EVM12L when I got that cab, but got the Archon a few months later and stopped playing my Boogies as much. (Edit: Spelldork on my iPad tried to change that bo BOOBIES! Luckily I caught it, since we have ladies here now and I’m sure the night owls would have had fun with that one since I’m leaving town in the A.M and won’t be online til at least late tomorrow night).

Anyway, I was dead set on one til I got the Archon. I should try it with the Thiele/C90 just for fun...

Back