1999 Core Custom 24 with Rotary Switch ==> McCarty wiring conversion?

billg

I have a 1999 Core Custom 24 with original pups and the original rotary selector. I've been reading that many people have converted to McCarty wiring with a toggle switch and push/pull pot. What is the collective wisdom re: the benefits of this conversion (beyond eliminating the rotary, which is the main reason for wanting to do this). Drawbacks? I would love to do this myself with a pre-wired harness if there are recommendations here for those. I'm sure this has been asked and answered already here, so sorry if I missed a post about this.

To get rid of that Chinese finger trap isn't reason enough!? Lol

Lots have done the swap. Lots love the rotary. Personal preference. If I wanted a kit, RS Guitar Works is the place I'd use. Otherwise I'd get the parts from PRS and do myself, preferred but RS is a close second. Oh, and don't forget to check out John Mann. I'm pretty sure he has kits. You could even give him a call, phone is best and a super nice guy knowledgeable in all things PRS.

Last edited:
Play it with rotary for a while. It is possible you may like it.

I swore I'd never like it. Bought one with rotary switching with intentions of swapping it out and now I own four rotary guitars.

I have a 1999 Core Custom 24 with original pups and the original rotary selector. I've been reading that many people have converted to McCarty wiring with a toggle switch and push/pull pot. What is the collective wisdom re: the benefits of this conversion (beyond eliminating the rotary, which is the main reason for wanting to do this). Drawbacks? I would love to do this myself with a pre-wired harness if there are recommendations here for those. I'm sure this has been asked and answered already here, so sorry if I missed a post about this.
The rotary is a little hard to switch on the fly at first but I've gotten better with it over time. Kinda like learning to switch with any other configuration for the first-time.

You don't get single coil bridge or single coil neck with rotary but you don't get positions 2 or 4 with McCarty switching so there's that.

If I was going to make that change I would get a Freeway switch. I believe you could get all the same sounds ( and one extra ) with a bit of soldering

Back