1995 PRS 10th anniversary vs. 2013 Private stock

Tag

How good is PRS? Who has the best quality control? I have a 10th Anniversary from 95, and my favorite, and to me, best sounding PS side by side. Construction wise they both seem perfect. The woods on both are crazy good. (The PSs are a bit flashier, but not by much, and the 10ths headstock inlay is beyond belief!) They both have flamed Mahogany necks, S.American mahogany backs, and ebony Fretboards. As far as I can tell, same frets, and the 10ths pups were switched from McCartys to very early 57/08s. The PS has 2013 57/08s. They are both McCarty thickness, and the difference is the 1oth is what they call semi hollow. It looks like it has rims for the side, and they glue a back on it. (the same way my pomegranate one is done) The PS is what they call chambered, and looks like a solid back that is routed. PS has a Nitro finish, 10th a Poly. In any case, both of these guitars are as fine an electric guitar as I have ever had the pleasure of playing. I put them side by side and did some very random noodling. Its unreal that 2 guitars 20 years apart can sound THIS similar. There are differences, but very slight. The 10th weighs 7 Lbs 13 ounces, the PS I am not sure, but its a feather weight. Probably right around 7 lbs even. My tone is different here. Much more overdrive than usual, and a much more rock sound. Its the guitar into a Mad Professor hand wired Sky blue overdrive, into a fender Super Reverb RI. You can coax so many tones out of these guitars just by your picking pressure. Thats another quality I find that semi hollow guitars excel at. Its also one of the most overused, cork sniffing expressions in internet history, but I PROMISE you, try a semi hollow trem next to the same model solid guitar, and you will hear and feel it right away. So to the clip I go. The video came out so dark, I had to use the brighten feature all the way to the max, so the colors are not right, but the tones are pretty darn close to what i was hearing in the room. 10th up first, followed by the PS. Cant say which I prefer more. They both are right up my alley. I really was suppose to figure out which I liked more and sell the other, but I am going to do everything possible to keep both. :redface: I KNOW a year down the road i would be sick about selling one, and how many PRS do you see with ebony boards? Now i am lucky enough to have two of them! :) If you think one sounds better, please post it! Turn up the volume as i kept it kind of low so I would not get any clipping. It worked!

Both guitars in the clip WREAK with semi hollow/trem stinking mouth watering tone IMO. :rock:

Last edited by a moderator:
We'll Tag great playing .they both sound good but the 10th sounds open and note definition more focused.

I think we are hearing it pretty much the same. The PS is one of the lightest PRS with traditional woods I have played, and it IS resonate. However, it can be a little buzzy or splatty (less focused) in the top end because of the lightness. The 10th has great focus, and it is also very resonate. By listening to the clips, I think I slightly prefer the 10th myself, but we are splitting hairs. Both guitars sound extremely similar, and if you had 5 of each, each one is going to vary by at least that much. Pretty amazing, because this is also what i consider to be the best sounding PS of the 4 I have owned, and flat out one of the best electrics i have ever played in my life. The 10th is one HELL of a guitar.

Last edited:
Back