1994 CE

Tyler

Afarewelltokings2112
Hello all, I've been a forum lurker for quite awhile now 5 years IIRC. Just now made an account.I mainly would go check out the private stock thread. So new account, but familiar with a lot of the great people here.
I have two USA PRS guitars one is a Violet custom24 30th anniversary artist package guitar and a stunning HBII in slate blue. I guess, you can say 3 US made if you count the reclaimed vela of mine. That's such a cool guitar mine came with a perfect top though I was hoping for a gnarly looking top.
Anyhow, also have an SE custom I'm sanding down right now and fixing it's been a project for 2 years (it was my number one) and I left it for dead because someone packed the 59/09 pickup somewhere. JUST found it. My stipulation was that guitar will rot until I find that pickup. And finally, I have an SE Alex Lifeson. I didn't listen to all the warnings that say you can't just own 1 PRS. Atleast, I can't.

Anyway, all that aside my birthday is coming up August 17th and I always had the idea of getting a guitar that was built on my birth year. It would be even cooler if built on my birth month and day but, that's just a dream. I'm hoping I'm not going to have to to pay quite $2k or anything although, the CEs went up a bit I think. So maybe I'll end up having to fork that much out anyway. But, I'm having the hardest time finding exactly what I'm looking for. So, I figured I'd ask here and see If anyone could point me in the right direction and give me a base line price for a decent condition CE(I realize that's extremely hard to ask) . Used but not abused with huge chips throughout.
I want a CE-22 since I have a custom 24 and don't use those extra frets :) However, I'd probably end up paying a nice penny for one which sucks... maybe for my 25th birthday. I'm 22 years of age so, I should have got a 1994 CE-22 for my 22 birthday. But, if I recall I was looking around and didn't see any. So, realistically I'm looking for a CE-24 made in 1994. I've though about a black one since my guitar idol Alex lifeson used one. But, solid black isn't a color I like. I was looking for a blue possibly. But, the more specific I get the more money and likely, less chance of finding one to meet that criteria. A couple years ago on eBay I found exactly what i was looking for but went with the freaking Custom-24 wanting to go big for my first MD made PRS. EVERYTIME I look it's either 1993 or 1995 or some other reason I don't want the thing(damage)
I should add, the main reason I'm so concerned with PRS besides loving their tone,feel, looks smell and taste, I'm from MD and not to far from their original shop. They're about 25-30 mins away at their current location.
I'm incredibly sorry for those who read this whole huge message. And Mods, if you don't feel this belongs here since I'm mentioning I'm looking to buy a guitar, I apologize. I was mainly asking if anybody knew the best places to look. Thanks for your time and help.

Welcome aboard!!! I don't have any leads for you, unfortunately, but I'm sure somebody here will have some links or some great ideas where to find something that fits your bill. It's a really cool idea looking for something made in your birth year...makes it real personal.

Also, would love to see some pictures of your current line-up, we all love pictures around here. :)

Happy early-Birthday and good luck!!! Be sure to keep us all posted on what you find.

Welcome aboard!!! I don't have any leads for you, unfortunately, but I'm sure somebody here will have some links or some great ideas where to find something that fits your bill. It's a really cool idea looking for something made in your birth year...makes it real personal.

Also, would love to see some pictures of your current line-up, we all love pictures around here. :)

Happy early-Birthday and good luck!!! Be sure to keep us all posted on what you find.

Hey, I appreciate it! I'll try to get a family picture here soon. Somebody played my 30th artist without asking and put some nice marks in the top. Asked everyone in the house but nobody touched it apparently. I know it wasn't be because it was set on neck pickup, tone all the way off. Not a sound I'd go for. I wouldn't be as mad if someone just admitted to it. Upsetting because it such a beauty. That's the reason I went with the reclaimed vela, figured, it already is banged up with nail holes and knots and the damn thing comes with a perfect top. Some gouges in the lower waist area that the music company did nothing but offer a refund on a guitar that was impossible to find. Actually ended up being my favorite souding PRS. The HBII sounds amazing but, the carve digs into my arm so, I don't play it often. Except to play Natural science or The Trees by Rush. Love going from clean piezo sound to distorted amp with the flick of a toggle. That guitar is so light it started to float away when I opened the case. I wish I didn't come back to the forum because I'm having some serious GAS attack. Love PRS. Functional art. Thanks again for the birthday wish and kind words.

Well, the CE 22 was first made in '94, and according to the serial number index, there were about 1900-ish CEs made that year...so if production was about 50/50 you are looking at under 1000 instruments to search for...

When I got an earwig for CE a couple years ago I had similar list of criteria I wanted my CE to be. I put WTB posts of Vintage Rocker and The Gear Page, and after a few "i don't have what you're looking for but I have a ____" responses I finally got hooked up. Be patient for what you really want and pound the auction and forum sites! You'll eventually find what you are looking for!

Greetings from an old guitar player in DC, Tyler. I`ll tell you to Avoid Cragislist in our area, too many people think they`re going to get a fortune for their PRS. I`ve seen guitars for more than retail. There is ebuy, and reverb, and then pawn shops in the area. Some of the pawn shops think every PRS is a Rolls Royce, but some of them are realistic, especially if they`re in the boonies. Check the forum, and all the PRS face book groups. Then there are the dealers, some of whom are fantastic, helpful and reasonable. Of course, YMMV.

Greetings from an old guitar player in DC, Tyler. I`ll tell you to Avoid Cragislist in our area, too many people think they`re going to get a fortune for their PRS. I`ve seen guitars for more than retail. There is ebuy, and reverb, and then pawn shops in the area. Some of the pawn shops think every PRS is a Rolls Royce, but some of them are realistic, especially if they`re in the boonies. Check the forum, and all the PRS face book groups. Then there are the dealers, some of whom are fantastic, helpful and reasonable. Of course, YMMV.
Thanks man. I appreciate it.

Well, the CE 22 was first made in '94, and according to the serial number index, there were about 1900-ish CEs made that year...so if production was about 50/50 you are looking at under 1000 instruments to search for...

When I got an earwig for CE a couple years ago I had similar list of criteria I wanted my CE to be. I put WTB posts of Vintage Rocker and The Gear Page, and after a few "i don't have what you're looking for but I have a ____" responses I finally got hooked up. Be patient for what you really want and pound the auction and forum sites! You'll eventually find what you are looking for!
Yeah, I figured the CE-22 was going to be a long shot. Thanks a ton for your help and information.

Welcome aboard! I have no issue with you asking for help finding a used guitar from your birth year.

As others have mentioned, try Reverb, or believe it or not, Guitar Center, the used section of the website. You can filter by manufacturer and then search for keywords (e,g, "CE" or "1994").

As for me, I was born before PRS guitars started out. I believe the stuff made the year I was born was "dirt" and "rocks", although those may have actually been invented after I was born, at least according to my daughter. :D

And avoid the overpriced 1986 ce22 on ebay. LOL

Check out musicgoround.com as well.

Also, contact the stores and retailers in major markets that deal in used guitars detailing what you are looking for. This has worked out very well for me in the past when I was on the hunt for something specific.

Good luck and happy birthday!

Might be easier to just get a '94 core...
... or you could wait till you have kids and get anything you like in their birthday years... I missed that boat by a decade or so and now I'm chasing '05s and '08s...

I've also been keeping an eye out for s CE from 93 or 94 for the alder body. Haven't seen any 94s, but did find a few 93s. All of them had lots of playwear, which can either be a good or a bad thing, depending on your point of view.

I've also been keeping an eye out for s CE from 93 or 94 for the alder body. Haven't seen any 94s, but did find a few 93s. All of them had lots of playwear, which can either be a good or a bad thing, depending on your point of view.

My 93 is pretty beat.

I feel you. Except those early CE's are f@ckin' radder than the set necks are for some people.
I'll soon find out. I managed to find what I was looking for. CE-24 not the 22. That's one I'll spend some time searching for. I didn't realize THE Sergio comment on my thread. I just can't wait for the guitar to get here. I'm having a hard time not buying the 594 and a DGT. PRS guitars are the worst drug to get off of. I've thought about selling my HBII piezo but, that guitar really spoke to me in a spiritual way and although the top carve can be uncomfortable, it's a small price to pay for such a cool guitar otherwise.

Back