1985 Pickups stamped '7' and '8'

Interesting
A couple of other things are apparent if you look at the pics above - neither of the two early guitars have a Mike D star as they're too early - the star starts being added around serial 100 from what I can tell based on imperfect information. Also nether of the early guitars has the additional machining in the pickup pocket for the PU height adjust screws. Again this gets added somewhere in the middle of the 1985 serials as far as I can tell. So for the original poster, on a guitar with 7 and 8s I'd expect to see no Mike D star in the neck PU pocket and no additional machining for the PU heigh adjust screws.

Very interesting, thanks for the info. I have only one vintage PRS with T/B pickups, 1988. (late 87 date under the bridge pickup).

I see one pickup ring has blue under it like the guitar was whale blue but has completely faded but not under the other ring. Strange.

Never mind me.......different guitars.

I see one pickup ring has blue under it like the guitar was whale blue but has completely faded but not under the other ring. Strange.

Never mind me.......different guitars.
The guitar in the middle picture is Royal Blue (Whale Blue wasn't an option back then). The other two are Vintage Yellow. Both the 1985 guitars are fairly faded - the Royal Blue one extremely so. The Vintage Yellow '85 looks fairly washed out in person (so to speak). Some of the early colours (colors) we're very UV unstable (Royal Blue especially so) and it was on display in Rumble Seat Music for many years hence long-term exposure to UV and the extreme fade.

It's 100% Royal Blue (marked R Blue in the pickup pocket) though:

1adIMG4249.jpg

f61IMG4249.jpg

Last edited:
I think there are a few real-deal experts on the older guitars on the forum - Glide and Queen City Guitars spring to mind.

It'd be interesting to see what they know / think if they see this thread and want to reply. My comments above are just based on a small sample of early guitars that I've seen / pulled apart. It'd be cool to be corrected if I'm wrong. For example, I've not seen inside any super early guitars (say the first ten off the line) so it'd be interesting to know what's in those - 7 and 8s as a guess, but it is a guess.

Ditto any of the pre-production guitars to the 'modern' design. The few of those where I've seen pictures seem to have blank-back pickups with tape written pickup codes on them (kinda like the stickers with "Gloria" etc on them in very early Fenders). Again it'd be interesting to hear what's in those from anyone who owns one or has pulled one apart. I'm aware the early guitars are a bit of a niche interest on the Forum but post away if you have anything.

Anyway here's the accompanying "7" that's on the VY guitar with an "8" in the bass position. The pickup is also electro-etched "Bridge", which I assume was done before it was stamped.

IMG1563.jpg

Last edited:
I am very interested in the early stuff. I recently picked up an 89 cu24 and it's cool as hell. Makes me want more.

The guy I bought it from was trying to convince me it had chainsaw pickups. When I pointed out the E and B slugs were different he had not noticed that. I also told him the chainsaw pickup was an all slug pickup, he didn't know that either.

I think there are a few real-deal experts on the older guitars on the forum - Glide and Queen City Guitars spring to mind.

It'd be interesting to see what they know / think if they see this thread and want to reply. My comments above are just based on a small sample of early guitars that I've seen / pulled apart. It'd be cool to be corrected if I'm wrong. For example, I've not seen inside any super early guitars (say the first ten off the line) so it'd be interesting to know what's in those - 7 and 8s as a guess, but it is a guess.

Ditto any of the pre-production guitars to the 'modern' design. The few of those where I've seen pictures seem to have blank-back pickups with tape written pickup codes on them (kinda like the stickers with "Gloria" etc on them in very early Fenders). Again it'd be interesting to hear what's in those from anyone who owns one or has pulled one apart. I'm aware the early guitars are a bit of a niche interest on the Forum but post away if you have anything.

Anyway here's the accompanying "7" that's on the VY guitar with an "8" in the bass position. The pickup is also electro-etched "Bridge", which I assume was done before it was stamped.

IMG1563.jpg
Tease!

Mine is not a 10 top and that surprises me. I can't find a 10 on it anywhere.
weren't '10 Top' designations added later? After people started asking for 'one with a really nice top' and the ability to charge extra for it.

Yes but I think that came sooner than 1989 from what I read.

The PRS website timeline says 1987, however I've seen pics of at least one 1986 '10' top guitar... The very early ones had '10' marked in the pickup cavity not on the headstock. It's a shame the 'Vintage PRS' websitesite is retired as it had photos of a couple of early 10-tops on it with '10' in the PU cavity but not on the headstock.

The PRS website timeline says 1987, however I've seen pics of at least one 1986 '10' top guitar... The very early ones had '10' marked in the pickup cavity not on the headstock. It's a shame the 'Vintage PRS' websitesite is retired as it had photos of a couple of early 10-tops on it with '10' in the PU cavity but not on the headstock.
You’ll just have to start your own collection and historic blog!;)

You’ve got some great ones to start off with!!

Back