1983 called and wants its PRS back.

sergiodeblanc

Man, I've always wanted an old Paul Reed Smith, you know one of those ones he was building in that sweaty attic. They weren't all too fancy lookin' and some of the examples floating around had weirdo P90 wooden covers and spartan lookin' controls, they we built for a purpose and one-off for whatever the fit the clients needs..I wouldn't say they were janky appearing, but they don't look like the crazy perfect guitars that the company is known for.

Well there's no way I'd be able to afford one of those, much less take it out of the house.. So I figured I'd set my time machine to "way back" and special order me a PRS from 1983 (in my mind) just for me.

No plastic except for the plates and lampshades, a Lace Silver in the neck and a metal toggle switch tip from an old Guild S100 that makes a bangin' "Klaaangg!" sound that's audible through the pups when you switch... It's like, "Get ready b!tches! Ima light this place on fire with my melting lead.. Klaaangg!".

Now don't tell me I got my dates wrong and Lace Sensors didn't come out until '85, I don't wanna hear it, this is my fantasy, I can think whatever I want. The Mira bass is a damn fine pup but wasn't a single coil.. Single is where I'm at right now and F@ck is this great sounding pickup! I will probably cut the stupid tone knob out and replace it with a sour-switch in the future, but for now I'm lovin' it!

There are still 99 of these KL's floating around unmolested so go get one before there are only 98. This guitar is BANGIN'!!!!

One of the seven unplated,1980-spec, 1-piece, bridges I had made would kill on that guitar.

In the kindest way, I hope you're never completely satisfied, because so many of us here enjoy seeing your work. :santa:

Protect it Serge :biggrin:

For real... I plan on using it to defend myself from the impending Triple-Double-Dragons!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;120401 said:
One of the seven unplated,1980-spec, 1-piece, bridges I had made would kill on that guitar.

Oh hell yes! I gotta get one of those!.. but I'll probably ruin it with some graphite saddles. I broke two strings today on this bastid, and only a few random strings left... but still, that would look Bangin'!

Nice! It even captures that old vibe.

Thanks Les and Alan for seeing it that way..aside from what I needed sonically from it I still wanted it to have a vibe visually,.. it makes me want to grow a beard, wear some of those graduated-tint sunglasses and sit in a wicker throne like I'm Al D.

I may just swap the 3way and tone for two mini toggles, it should do the same thing but look and feel a bit more "nu-vintage".

In the kindest way, I hope you're never completely satisfied, because so many of us here enjoy seeing your work. :santa:

Thanks Rob!

I mean, I'm satisfied tonally. I am so f@ckin' lucky and appreciating for everything I have and feel like I could play anyone of my modest guitars for a lifetime with zero complaints.. But I can't help it, I like playing with the styles of these things like they were Barbie dolls.

I'm liking this so much, Sergio.

Back