12-String Acoustic Players

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
Surely I'm not alone. Sound off!

I wish PRS would make a Westerly Guild JF 65-12 killer! How about a Collection 12-string made with some of that killer Brazilian?

A guy can dream, can't he?

Heartbeat-animated-animation-heartbeat-smiley-emoticon-000335-facebook.gif

I've never wanted an acoustic 12 string (I seem to like electric 12s, though), but in any case I'd bet that PRS would hit that one outta the park.

As nice as the Guilds can be, they aren't in the same league as a PRS acoustic. I also think the graphite neck rod would be ideal on a 12 string.

I've never wanted an acoustic 12 string (I seem to like electric 12s, though), but in any case I'd bet that PRS would hit that one outta the park.

As nice as the Guilds can be, they aren't in the same league as a PRS acoustic. I also think the graphite neck rod would be ideal on a 12 string.

Agreed on all points, Dr, Schefman. Having been a long-time Westerly Guild owner/player, I was skeptical about PRS acoustics. Not after playing them.

I heard people say that the electric PRS 12-string was "The best" 12-sting they had ever played; electric OR acoustic. I laughed that off as fanboi hype. And then I got this Archtop.

As the saying goes, I'm all in.

IMG_0048.jpg

YES YES YES......I love a 12str for solo singing and playing, and I often have them layered in for texture with other gtrs. My guess is that it will become a reality eventually, as well as classical gtrs.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;24437 said:
Agreed on all points, Dr, Schefman. Having been a long-time Westerly Guild owner/player, I was skeptical about PRS acoustics. Not after playing them.

I heard people say that the electric PRS 12-string was "The best" 12-sting they had ever played; electric OR acoustic. I laughed that off as fanboi hype. And then I got this Archtop.

As the saying goes, I'm all in.

That is the nicest 12 string electric guitar I have ever seen, period, bar none! Tell more about it? I'd love to know the details on that one!

You probably would have really also liked the Tom Petty Rickenbacker 660TP, 12 string, that I had: limited edition, wider neck than most Rick 12s, with birdseye maple top, that I, um....sold...to....um....buy something I don't remember at all. LOL! Isn't that the way it goes?

Now that you reminded me, I do need a 12 string electric. I see PRS has a really schweet HB model....

Last edited:
That is the nicest 12 string electric guitar I have ever seen, period, bar none! Tell more about it? I'd love to know the details on that one!
It was made for Joe Johnson; one of the owners of Excel Machine & Fabrication in Baltimore. They make the PRS bridges. The bridge on this guitar is the original prototype for the 12-string electric. The intonation for each string can be adjusted separately.

On a personal note... I chased this guitar for a couple years before the dream came true. When it first hit the streets I was trying to survive while living in Hawaii and the asking price was $26,999.00. Needles to say, I couldn't make that happen. It eventually sold and then turned up again for $12,000.00. Then it dropped to $10k. By this time the economy was in the shitter and I was living back in Colorado. I still couldn't justify the price and it sold again pretty fast. (Argh!) Then, as if it were haunted, it showed up on fee-bay for $8,999.00. I called the store and made them an offer (which they countered). I told them I'd call back the next day with a decision. When I called back, I turned them down. Again, I just had a hard time spending the cash.

Within a few hours of that discussion, it sold again. Markie called me to tell me that someone had pulled the trigger and "put me out of my misery". I was pretty busted up over it. There was a knot in my stomach. I knew I had made a huge mistake passing on this guitar yet again. Markie laughed and said "There's no hurry, bud. When you have the funds, it'll be here in Muncie waiting for you". It was all I could do to man-up and finish the conversation without blubbering like a damn fool.

That Markie fella is a pretty swell guy.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;24472 said:

Yes he is. I bought a PRS 22/12 from him a little while back and it is a great guitar. I let a real musician (he makes a living at it, puts out CDs and so forth) friend of mine play it and he went nuts over it. It was the first PRS 12 string he'd layed hands on. He went on and on about how much better it sounded and played that a Ric and asked if he could borrow it to use for recording. I was going to inquire at the Experience about the possibility of a PS acoustic 12 but I got distracted by something else. (6x2=12, right) :wink: Maybe next trip.

I find a 12 string acoustic to be a bit too much work, so I probably wouldn't spring for a PRS.
I do however find my 9 string a joy to play and feel it gives much of the richness of a 12 string.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;24472 said:
It was made for Joe Johnson; one of the owners of Excel Machine & Fabrication in Baltimore. They make the PRS bridges. The bridge on this guitar is the original prototype for the 12-string electric. The intonation for each string can be adjusted separately.

On a personal note... I chased this guitar for a couple years before the dream came true. When it first hit the streets I was trying to survive while living in Hawaii and the asking price was $26,999.00. Needles to say, I couldn't make that happen. It eventually sold and then turned up again for $12,000.00. Then it dropped to $10k. By this time the economy was in the shitter and I was living back in Colorado. I still couldn't justify the price and it sold again pretty fast. (Argh!) Then, as if it were haunted, it showed up on fee-bay for $8,999.00. I called the store and made them an offer (which they countered). I told them I'd call back the next day with a decision. When I called back, I turned them down. Again, I just had a hard time spending the cash.

Within a few hours of that discussion, it sold again. Markie called me to tell me that someone had pulled the trigger and "put me out of my misery". I was pretty busted up over it. There was a knot in my stomach. I knew I had made a huge mistake passing on this guitar yet again. Markie laughed and said "There's no hurry, bud. When you have the funds, it'll be here in Muncie waiting for you". It was all I could do to man-up and finish the conversation without blubbering like a damn fool.

That's a great story!

Plus, cool about Markie. He sounds like a really super guy.

Not being a collector, I've never experienced anything like the disappointment you originally went through. I totally lack that gene (when it comes to things, as opposed to, say, women ;)).

What happens with me is, let's say I need a CU22. It's a much more generic kind of interest than being interested in a particular guitar. I'm interested in the model. I'll check Jack's website, and if he has one, I'll call and ask how it sounds/plays. Jack's been super-candid with me, and knows what I like, so I trust his judgment. If he doesn't have what I'm looking for, I'll just order something and take my chances. So far, I haven't been disappointed with any PRS!

I can appreciate a special item someone else has, though, for its intrinsic coolness. Such as the 12 string you posted. It's great! I like the individual saddles for intonation, I believe my old Petty Rick had them, too. Lovely guitar, sold it to my best friend, who just sold it to someone else and made money. I lost money. Typical.

Pretty bland, huh? The only tales I can really tell about guitars I've owned are things that happened while they were mine. Which, for the most part, are pretty boring stories. "Yeah, this one was ordered for me and I used it on a car commercial." LOL.

Last edited:
Not being a collector, I've never experienced anything like the disappointment you originally went through. I totally lack that gene (when it comes to things, as opposed to, say, women ;)).

Funny you should mention that, Les. I firmly believe that "Collecting" is a genetic trait and that hoarding is a more severe case of the same psychosis. There is a fair amount of OCD that goes with it.

I've watched a few episodes of the Hoarders series. I laughed when I saw a woman cry about selling a VCR tape she never watched. I think: My god, how lame can you get?

Then... because life is a cruel teacher... I find myself humbled as my wife laughs at me for moaning when I attempt to sell a guitar I never play.

Both of my parents are collectors. They both obsess over their favorite things. I'm 100% screwed.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;24693 said:
Funny you should mention that, Les. I firmly believe that "Collecting" is a genetic trait and that hoarding is a more severe case of the same psychosis. There is a fair amount of OCD that goes with it.

I've watched a few episodes of the Hoarders series. I laughed when I saw a woman cry about selling a VCR tape she never watched. I think: My god, how lame can you get?

Then... because life is a cruel teacher... I find myself humbled as my wife laughs at me for moaning when I attempt to sell a guitar I never play.

Both of my parents are collectors. They both obsess over their favorite things. I'm 100% screwed.

OK, this is going to seem far afield, but stay with me...I think several things affect this. One is instinct.

I'm convinced that people experience instinct. I became certain of this when I got home from the hospital after my first child was born. Suddenly, whenever I looked at something round, I saw mental imprint of her mouth. If I put a coffee cup on the table, there was a picture in my mind of her mouth, If I went to the sink...you get the picture. It was the most uncanny thing I'd ever experienced. I realized at that moment that a mental impression of the feature that wasn't all swollen on her face immediately after her birth was the same kind of thing that allows animals to find their offspring in a herd. It felt very different from a memory, in fact I'd never had that feeling or that experience before in my conscious life. Instinct is very powerful stuff.

I do think that it's instinctive in hamans to want to acquire; in fact, it's one of the things that probably contributed to the advancement and survival of the species, for example, the acquisition and saving of food, animal herding, or maintenance of shelter were positives, obviously. Some people might have this instinct more strongly than others. So I agree with you on the possibility of a genetic component.

In fact, our ancestors were hunter-gatherers (and possibly scavengers as well). Before organized societies and language, this had to be instinctive in early man.

Incidentally, my parents had lots of beautiful stuff, but weren't collectors. Maybe there's something to this!

The second possibility about collecting is the fulfillment of a wish for immortality and permanence. I have a close friend who's a brilliant psychiatrist, who once told me that he believes the urge to collect is a trick the mind plays to hedge against death and the decline of aging. We all know we're going to age, become infirm and ugly, and die, but having a lot of stuff - especially beautiful stuff that will outlive us - is comforting, and allows us to concentrate on the stuff's beauty and immortality and forget about what's going to happen to us.

Another theory is that there is so little in life that we can truly control. Everything is transitory. Our children grow up and go their own way. Our spouses change over time. Even our pets come and go. But we can control what we own. And we have a natural urge as humans to control our environment. Add in the other two factors, and there might be some pretty strong reasons why folks are drawn to collecting.

I've read theories that it's all about relief from childhood anxieties, where control of objects make one feel less helpless and alone. Others feel that it's an attempt to hold onto certain feelings and memories. I honestly don't know, and can only guess, but I don't think anyone else can truly know. Maybe the reasons are different for different people.

In any case, since I lack the basic collecting urge, I'll never understand what it's all about. That's one heck of a nice guitar you have, though!

Edit: I had a cousin by marriage who was a collector of Roman coins. He was so involved in learning about them, that he became a published author on the subject of Roman coinage, and the history of the West European Roman Republic and Empire, and actually lectured at the college level on the subject. I liked his scholarly approach.

Last edited:
There are many benefits of collecting....most of which are probably just rationales for feeding that gene that has been described in prior posts. :p

Being a collector of signed, 1st edition, science fiction novels gave me the unique opportunity to be "the last person Philip Jose Farmer wrote to, and acknowledged as a fan" before he subsequently passed away at the age of 91+. It was a deeply personal letter.... written to me.... and was so profound I keep it framed and often refer to it. A major fringe benefit of "collecting". It has also allowed me to speak to and interact with other giants in the field, including Kurt Vonnegut Jr (RIP) and Harlan Ellison.

Being a collector of guitars has allowed me to meet and mingle and spend some quality time with members of Blue Oyster Cult as well as Howard Leese.

As a collector, I appreciate the "items that comprise the niche of that specific collection". As an art collector, I have learned to appreciate some of the styles and schools of art that I otherwise might have missed. Similarly if I didn't appreciate the aesthetic that accompanies the function, I never would have collected PRSi.

I guess, in counterpoint to Les...the only thing I have failed to collect in life were women. My marriage of 33 years stands strong because we are both.......wait for it....collectors. :p

We do share similar interests, although guitars do not frequently cross over that line. :biggrin:

BTW....nice 12 string!!!! Back on the rails.

Last edited:
There are many benefits of collecting....most of which are probably just rationales for feeding that gene that has been described in prior posts. :p

Being a collector of signed, 1st edition, science fiction novels gave me the unique opportunity to be "the last person Philip Jose Farmer wrote to, and acknowledged as a fan" before he subsequently passed away at the age of 91+. It was a deeply personal letter.... written to me.... and was so profound I keep it framed and often refer to it. A major fringe benefit of "collecting". It has also allowed me to speak to and interact with other giants in the field, including Kurt Vonnegut Jr (RIP) and Harlan Ellison.

Being a collector of guitars has allowed me to meet and mingle and spend some quality time with members of Blue Oyster Cult as well as Howard Leese.

As a collector, I appreciate the "items that comprise the niche of that specific collection". As an art collector, I have learned to appreciate some of the styles and schools of art that I otherwise might have missed. Similarly if I didn't appreciate the aesthetic that accompanies the function, I never would have collected PRSi.

I guess, in counterpoint to Les...the only thing I have failed to collect in life were women. My marriage of 33 years stands strong because we are both.......wait for it....collectors. :p

We do share similar interests, although guitars do not frequently cross over that line. :biggrin:

BTW....nice 12 string!!!! Back on the rails.

EDIT_ this post was originally posted be earlier than Bennett's second one, but I hadn't included his quote in my earlier post, so I decided to do that and delete my older one. While I was doing that, he replied. So this is out of order, if you will.

Just in case anyone else has the wrong idea: Hans was talking about a guitar he wanted very badly and felt a little heartbroken in not getting it. To be clear, what I was saying was that I've had heartbreak over women, but not over inanimate objects like guitars.

I was not saying that I was into somehow collecting women. I've actually been married longer than Bennett.

I see no personal distinction in being a fan of someone. I knew Kurt Vonnegut as a teacher at Michigan my freshman year (he was Writer in Residence), and attended his lectures. I have fun memories of that time, but wouldn't be interested in collecting memorabilia or letters from the guy. For me, that would be meaningless. Instead I read his books.

As someone who appreciates art, and who studied art, I realize that I don't have to collect it in order to enjoy it, though I have bought art often and have some nice pieces. I know a lot of artists because they've been friends for many years, and because of my brother. I have worked with some incredible musicians. What I cherish are the relationships, the discussions, and what they've taught me.

We're all different, and come to our knowledge and interests in different ways. More power to those who are have joy in collecting, but acquiring a pile of stuff is not the sole path to enlightenment.

Last edited:
To be clear, what I was saying was that I've had heartbreak over women, but not over inanimate objects like guitars.

I see no personal distinction in being a fan of someone.

First...in no way was I attempting to undermine your marriage Les. I see your point vis a vis animate vs. inanimate "objects of affection". And I would agree with your point above save for one exception...being a "fan" of someone has led me to ultimately having a personal relationship with several individuals....across different areas...that I otherwise would never have met...and certainly never became friendly with.

Those are the primary exceptions, IMO.

Am I really the only one who wants a jumbo-body "Collection" Acoustic 12-string made from that beautiful, old, Brazilian Rosewood?

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;24764 said:
Am I really the only one who wants a jumbo-body "Collection" Acoustic 12-string made from that beautiful, old, Brazilian Rosewood?

No. But you may be the only one who could afford it. :)

Back