10s on a DGT process

Dondante

Just took delivery of my DGT. I can already tell I don't like the 11s. Can someone tell me what I need to do for the swap to 10s? Any detailed video guides etc? I want to do this tonight.

set up. I would assume something would have to be changed. I've never setup one with a tremolo. Only hard tails.

set up. I would assume something would have to be changed. I've never setup one with a tremolo. Only hard tails.
The process won't be that different. Put on the strings. Check the neck relief and if necessary adjust the truss rod a bit. Check the intonation and if necessary adjust the bridge pieces a bit. I'm a bit lazy, so I would probably just play it a bit first and enjoy it then dial in the setup to suit me.

I'd also play the 11s for a few hours. They work really well on that guitar - but if you know you don't like them, by all means swap them out.

You will most likely have to loosen the springs on the back to compensate for the lower tension strings. Possibly a slight truss rod tweak

You will most likely have to loosen the springs on the back to compensate for the lower tension strings. Possibly a slight truss rod tweak

Concur. I agree with Veinbuster as I am lazy too. I would prefer 9's, but still have 11's on my DGT.

Start by loosening the trem claw screws about one full turn out. Install 10s and tune to pitch. If trem is level at pitch then great. If trem is above level then tighten claw screws a quarter turn at a time retuning to pitch after each adjustment. If trem is below level then loosen claw screws quarter turn. Repeat until level and correct pitch.

Irs really pretty easy.

I small truss rod adjust will most likely be needed ( Clockwise ) and a trem claw adjust like Gush mentioned
Bodia I can set you guitar up for 9s if you want, I work for beer :)

I small truss rod adjust will most likely be needed ( Clockwise ) and a trem claw adjust like Gush mentioned
Bodia I can set you guitar up for 9s if you want, I work for beer :)

I dunno, a mile is pretty far to travel. Although, I do love beer. Perhaps.....:p

[southern belle accent]Oh my lord, Mike is havin' a case of the vapors![/southern belle accent]

10's for the win. Well worth the time to change the spring tension/action/intonation. I just don't have the finger strength for 11's.

Another user of 10-46s on a DGT here (albeit no longer with the stock electronics). It simply works and is much more easy-going on ones left hand.

Especially when one is no more a cub but an old geezer who's still struggling heavily to make a guitar sing the Blues properly :oops:

Now my major malfunction is the Neck pick up. I can't get it to clean up and it sounds muddy.

I LOVE the bridge pickup. It's absolutely amazing.

Rolled the neck volume back to a maximum of 6-7?
Even rolled back the tone pot a bit?
Adjusted the pickup height to PRS spec (5/64 treble, 6/64 bass) or even a tad more air between strings and pole screws?

Still doesn't clean up or sounds muddy or ear-wearing?
Been there, did a pickup swap and rewiring. Now, she's fine and mine ;)

I stand to my word: the DGT is a truly great platform, but it's pickups (and the 11s) are not for everyone...

Last edited:
I played with volume and tone. Nothing. Haven't tried pickup adjustment. Late night research shows I'm not the only one who experienced this. I've seen a lot of pickup swaps in it. I really like the bridge. What pick up did you swap too?

Neck only sounds great split with some dirt. :(

@Dondante: Please have a look here:

Bare Knuckle Abraxas Set in, three new push-pull pots in (individual coil-splits on the volumes and an out-of-phase switch for the bridge pickup on the master tone), on the way also swapped positions of bridge and neck volume potentiometers.

And there

There you go...

Dinner is ready:
IMG_0553_zps3yanr1jb.jpg

IMG_0553_zps3yanr1jb.jpg

Back