10 Watt EL84 PRS Amp?

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
I heard a rumor about this amp. Is it true? If so, is it a 1-off from CAD? Is it really called "The Perfect 10"?

I WANT ONE!

Had a Sewell Blistertone with EL84s. It was loud and dirty. Wonder if it's a variation on that?

Last edited:
I heard something similar. Might have been from you...maybe not. Regardless, I wonder if it's a result of the Grissom collaboration? :rolleyes:

Hmmmm. Here's a 15 watt EL84 amp. I wonder if there's any similarity? These normaly have 6l6s (6v6s?) but Doug told me the guy who ordered this one wanted EL84s. I think he said it was the only Texaverb he made like this.

l.jpg

l.jpg

Last edited:
]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;23266 said:
I heard a rumor about this amp. Is it true? If so, is it a 1-off from CAD? Is it really called "The Perfect 10"?

I WANT ONE!

I'd be interested in that... Maybe scalable down to 1 watt...

Like my Laney for home recording but some of the PRS amps are sounding very, very good!

Is this a high gain or vintage toned amp?

I know it's just me but I've never fully understood that question. Whenever someone tells me an amp sounds "vintage" all I hear is an unbalanced sound with muddy bottoms and missing mids. This amp has plenty of gain and gets nicely distorted when you roll up the volume (gain) control. Think 70s-80s rock. It is not a gain monster like a Soldano. This amp has plenty of clean head-room and it's easy to find that sweet spot (a range , really) where the distortion is easily controlled with the guitar volume leaving the amp settings alone. In contrast with an amp of the same wattage and control layout, my Soldano Astroverb has nothing but gain and virtually no clean tones even when you substitute a 12at7 (12au7?) for one of the 12ax7 preamp tubes (which I was told would lower the gain and yield more clean headroom).

I know it's just me but I've never fully understood that question. Whenever someone tells me an amp sounds "vintage" all I hear is an unbalanced sound with muddy bottoms and missing mids. This amp has plenty of gain and gets nicely distorted when you roll up the volume (gain) control. Think 70s-80s rock. It is not a gain monster like a Soldano. This amp has plenty of clean head-room and it's easy to find that sweet spot (a range , really) where the distortion is easily controlled with the guitar volume leaving the amp settings alone. In contrast with an amp of the same wattage and control layout, my Soldano Astroverb has nothing but gain and virtually no clean tones even when you substitute a 12at7 (12au7?) for one of the 12ax7 preamp tubes (which I was told would lower the gain and yield more clean headroom).

I liken it to the sweet 16 amp......when I hear a demo of it cranked up all the way all I hear is maybe an AC/DC tone, but my Blistertone rages well past that tonally into an 80's type chunky saturation. Hard to explain but know it when i hear and feel how it plays......Give me a small amp that does this and I sign up for one.

wow! I never thought my post would generate this much attention . I did purchase a 10 what 112 combo at the experience . it is indeed a fire breathing 10 watch never heard amp like it .with the volume control diamond, I get a very gnarly ACDC type of overdrive where I can roll back the volume and get a very Chimey clean sound.

I welcome any and all questions on this amp I've been playing with it almost daily for the last 10 days

by the way I named it my perfect 10. PRS has not come up with a name for this amp yet . or whether or not this will become a production model

wow! I never thought my post would generate this much attention.
It didn't. :) I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since we talked about it at X:pRS:2012! :rock: I knew you were gigging it that evening and I have been waiting for you to post it here for all to enjoy. I got tired of waiting so I stared it for you. LOL

Now post some pics already!

by the way I named it my perfect 10. PRS has not come up with a name for this amp yet.
It doesn't matter. We tend to give things we like a nickname. "The perfect 10" is too good to ignore; especially for those of us who remember Bo Derek (in her prime).

By the way... here's that photo I promised you.

IMG_0203_zps8ee78b36.jpg

Last edited:
wow! I never thought my post would generate this much attention . I did purchase a 10 what 112 combo at the experience . it is indeed a fire breathing 10 watch never heard amp like it .with the volume control diamond, I get a very gnarly ACDC type of overdrive where I can roll back the volume and get a very Chimey clean sound.

I welcome any and all questions on this amp I've been playing with it almost daily for the last 10 days

Master volume on this? What are the controls on this? Have reverb? I

know it is subjective but is the gain on this saturated or a crunchy type? I know this is hard to quantify, sound clips would be killer! I want a small amp that gets very dirty easy, not necessarily one that at its peak gets just a crunchy ac/dc semi-clean/dirt tone. These would sell like hotcakes if this is a high gainer...........also like that it is a 12 inch model, most small wattage amps get saddled with small speakers..

Whenever someone tells me an amp sounds "vintage" all I hear is an unbalanced sound with muddy bottoms and missing mids. This amp has plenty of gain and gets nicely distorted when you roll up the volume (gain) control. Think 70s-80s rock. It is not a gain monster like a Soldano.

After 30-40 years, 70s-80s rock is pretty vintage stuff!

When I think of vintage style amps, I think of amps like AC30s, BF Twins, Bassmans, Plexis, etc. But I tend to think of Tweed style vintage amps as a bit flubby on the bottom, so maybe that's the kind of thing you're thinking about when you hear "vintage." I'd agree.

I'd call a Soldano a more modern-toned amp for sure.

Master volume on this? What are the controls on this? Have reverb? I

know it is subjective but is the gain on this saturated or a crunchy type? I know this is hard to quantify, sound clips would be killer! I want a small amp that gets very dirty easy, not necessarily one that at its peak gets just a crunchy ac/dc semi-clean/dirt tone. These would sell like hotcakes if this is a high gainer...........also like that it is a 12 inch model, most small wattage amps get saddled with small speakers..

Controls:

Volume, Reverb, Treble, Mid, Bass, & Presence
1x12 Sweet16 cab

it is more like a very crunchy gain... gets saturated enough with a boost ie. EP Booster

Back